Eagley School has a recorded history stretching for more than two hundred years from its original foundation in 1794 as a mill school.
In 1843, the school moved to premises in School Street. Almost a century later, in 1954, the Infant and Junior departments separated, with the Junior school moving to new premises within Turton High School. Finally in January 1965 we moved to the site we now occupy off Chapeltown Road.
Our present building caters for children aged 7 – 11 years, is modern in design and has many attractive features making it a pleasant place to learn. It has two playgrounds, a playing field and grounds which include a mixture of formal and wildlife areas which have been developed in consultation with the children to enhance the school.
There are two mixed ability classes in each Year group. They are normally taught by their class teacher, but on occasion another member of staff who has a particular area of expertise may teach them. We currently have specialist teachers for French, Music, Drama and PE. Class teachers in each Year group plan closely together to ensure that, although teaching styles and activities will naturally vary between classes, all children have the same overall curricular provision.
Our school maintains good links with Eagley Infant school and Turton High School, to which 95+% of our Year 6 children transfer. Throughout the year there are opportunities for staff and pupils of all three schools to visit each other, either to work or to take part in fun activities. In this way we hope to enable all our pupils to progress through their school life with confidence.